Mormonism claims to follow God and Jesus Christ, but their doctrines contradict the Bible and even their other works.
History: Joseph smith grew up seeing all the churches fighting with each other which prompted questions as to whom was the true church. One day, he went up a mountain to a secluded spot where he claims he fell into deep darkness. When he was just about to die, God and his son, Jesus Christ, appeared and told him that all the churches were an abomination to him. After that, he lived a rebellious life until years later he had another vision in which the angel Moriah appeared to him and told him that he would be given golden plates which would bring true salvation back to the world. His religion was accepted by thousands of people, even though it contradicted the Bible, archeology, history and common sense.
Egyptian papyrus: Joseph smith claimed he was able to translate a papyrus which was found in Egypt. He claimed that the papyrus was taking about Abraham and he called it the Book of Abraham (they didn’t tell people that he penciled in the parts which were missing). Later, when scientist discover how to read the Egyptian dialect, they found out that it had absolutely nothing to do with Abraham or anything else mentioned in the Book of Abraham.
The Golden Plates: Joseph Smith didn’t even use the Golden plates to translate the book of Mormon like it is shown. He was looking at seer stones down in a hat when he translated the book of Mormon. David Whitmer, one of the 3 witnesses of the B of M said, “I will now give you a description of the manner in which the Book of Mormon was translated. Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine.” (Address to All Believers in Christ, David Whitmer, 1887, page 12, reprinted 1960, Pacific Publishing Co., Martinez, CA.) The Book of Mormon wasn’t even translated from the golden plates!
Book of Mormon racist statements:
1. 1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) “. . . became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.
2. 2 Nephi 5:21 “. . . a sore cursing . . . as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.”
3. Mormon 5:15 (Prophecy about Lamanites) “. . .shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us . . .”
4. Moses 7:22 “. . . for the seed of Cain were black and had not place among them.”
Black people were denied the priesthood until the 1970’s as a result of the racism in the Book of Mormon and other Mormon writings. Joseph Smith said, “I would confine them (blacks) by strict law to their own species.”
Other evidences against the book of Mormon:
1. The Nephites and Laminates referred to in the B of M have left no trace of their existence while there is evidence of smaller people groups who lived thousands of years before them.
2. Joseph Smith taught there were people living on the moon while Brigham young taught there were people living on the sun and that no one would ever reach the moon. All of these have been proven inaccurate. The sun is almost six thousand degrees and has harmful radioactive particles radiating out of it. Furthermore, people reached the moon on July 20th, 1969 and there wasn’t anybody living up there.
3. Mark Hovmen fooled some of the Mormon Church elders with some forged documents and was later jailed for murder.
4. DNA testing has proven that the Native Americans did not originate from Egypt, Israel, or anywhere else in the Middle East like the book of Mormon claims.
5. Brigham Young taught that Adam was a God while the Bible teaches Adam was the first man God created and sent the human race plunging into the darkness of sin.
6. The “temple ceremonies” were much like the ceremonies of the Masonic lodge. The “temple ceremonies” were started just seven weeks after Joseph Smith joined the Masonic Lodge. Even though the temple ceremonies were not supposed to change, they were changed in the 1980’s when the Masonic lodge change theirs. The temple ceremonies seem to be based on the Masonic ceremony. The Temple ceremony is not based on
7. There are at least four different record of his vision. One of which doesn’t even mention God or Jesus at all.
8. Over 100,000 changes have been made to the book of Mormon.
9. When one hundred sixteen pages of the B of M were stolen by Marten Harris’s wife to test his skill as a translator, he couldn’t retranslate them.
10. Joseph Smith was not martyred. He was jailed for destroying a printing press which was printing anti Mormon pagers. He had already killed two people before he was shot to death. [John Taylor testified that Joseph Smith] “Snapped the pistol six successive times; only three of the barrels, however, were discharged. I afterwards understood that two or three were wounded by these discharges, two of whom, I am informed, died, I had in my hands a large, strong hickory stick, brought there by Brother Markham, and left by him, which I had seized as soon as I saw the mob approach; and while Brother Joseph was firing the pistol, I stood close behind him. As soon as he had discharged it he stepped back, and I immediately took his place next to the door, while he occupied the one I had done while he was shooting. Brother Richards, at this time, had a knotty walking-stick in his hands belonging to me, and stood next to Brother Joseph, a little farther from the door, in an oblique direction, apparently to avoid the rake of the fire from the door. The firing of Brother Joseph made our assailants pause for a moment; very soon after, however, they pushed the door some distance open, and protruded and discharged their guns into the room, when I parried them off with my stick, giving another direction to the balls.” (History of the Church, Vol.7, Ch.9, p.103)
11. Brigham Young taught blood atonement which led up to the mountain meadows massacre where church leaders murdered over one hundred pioneers traveling through Utah. Now they have forsaken this doctrine even though it was taught by earlier leaders.
12. Boyd K. packer counselled historians not to tell the truth if it made people doubt Mormonism.
13. Six church member were excommunicated for publishing things against Mormonism.
14. They told people not to bring accusations against a leader even if they were true.
Contradiction in the Book of Mormon:
One God is taught in the Book of Mormon: Alma 11:27-39, 44; 2 Nephi 31:21; Mormon 7:7; 3 Nephi 11:27.
Plural Gods taught in Doctrine and Covenants: Section 121:32; 132:18-20, 37.
God is spirit is taught in the B. of M. – Alma 18:26-28; 22:8-11
God has a body is taught in D. & C. – Section 130:22
God cannot lie is taught in the B. of M. – Ether 3:12; 2 Nephi 9:34
God commands lying is taught in P.G.P. – Book of Abraham 2:22-25
Contradictions between the Bible and the
Book of Mormon:
Bible: Church began in 33 AD Mt 16:18 Acts 2
B of M: Church began in 147BC, Mosiah 18:17
Bible: “Disciples were first called Christians in Antioch” 40AD, Acts 11:26
B of M:Alma 46:13-16 supposedly written in 73BC refers to Nephites as Christians.
Bible: Jesus is only head of church Col 1:18
B of M: Joe Smith is head of Mormon Church D&C 28:2-6
Bible: “Jesus was born in Bethlehem” Mt 2:1 + Mt 21:17
B of M: “He shall be born of Mary at Jerusalem” Alma 7:10
Bible: God is spirit without flesh &bones John 4:24; Lk 24:39
B of M: God has flesh and bones like man: D&C 130:22
Terminology differences between the Bible and Mormon teachings:
Atonement from sin by grace:
Bible: Salvation is not universal but based on belief of each individual. (Rom 1:16; Heb 9:28; Eph 2:8-9)
LDS – believe Christ’s death brought release from grave and universal resurrection – Salvation by grace is universal resurrection – beyond this, man must earn his place in heaven
Sons of God:
Bible: We become a child of God at conversion. (I John 1:12)
LDS: We are all literal spirit children of God.
Bible – No mention of people getting out of Hell. (Rev. 21:8; Matt 13:24-43 and 47-50; Luke 16:26)
LDS – Hell as an institution is eternal – inmates come and go as in jail – don’t spend eternity there – stay until one has paid debt to God.
Bible – God not a man. (Num 23:19). Only one God. (Isa 43:10-11; 44:6; 45:21-22). Father is Spirit and Invisible (John 4:24; I Tim 1:17)
LDS – Father God is a resurrected man with physical body, Christ is a separate resurrected man with physical body. Holy Ghost is a separate man with a spiritual body – 3 totally separate Gods.
Expanding of the differences between Mormonism and Christianity.
Heavenly father: Mormons believe that God was a created being how used to be a man, and that he reached god-hood by a progress of spiritual sanctification. They also believe he is a God of flesh and not of spirit and that he is currently dwelling on a planet near the star Kolob (Abraham 3:1-4). However, this is in contradiction with the Bible which says that God is spirit and that those who worships him must worship him is spirit and in truth (John 4:24). The Bible also says God is eternal. “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning andthe end, thefirstandthelast” (Rev 22:13). Although the Mormons may claim God is eternal, they denied this by saying God was once a man…a created being. A created man cannot be eternal. Joseph Smith clearly states his view of God in what is called the king Follet sermon, “God himself an exalted man. He is God. The only God. Always been God.
How many Gods? According to whom? According to the Bible: one God. According to Mormonism: many! In fact, Adam who got the human race into the mess it is now in is a God. Mormonism is a polytheistic religion and believes in many gods occupying different regions of the universe. On the contrary, the Bible clearly teaches there is but one God. “Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me” (Isaiah 43:10). Since it is impossible for God to lie, he must be speaking the truth…which means there is only one God, not many.
Mormons vs. Biblical view of God can be summarized by this: The God of the Bible is eternally God, only God, and is spirit; not flesh.
View of Jesus: Jesus is believed by Mormons to be the first child of the heavenly father and mother. The Mormons believe he is the first borne among creation (Colossians 1:15), but they deny he created all thing since he himself was created (Colossians 1:16). One of Jesus’ brothers, according to Mormonism, was Lucifer. Both Jesus and Lucifer came up with a plan to test the worthiness of spirit children. Jesus’ plan was favored by God, and those who followed Lucifer’s plan were thrown out of heaven. Here is the summary of the Biblical Jesus and the Mormon view of Jesus. The Bible teaches that he was the creator of all being outside the trinity, was one of the tree person God-head, and provided a perfect sacrifice for sin once and for all to secure perfect righteousness. On the other hand, Mormonism hold that Jesus was the spirit brother of Lucifer, one of three people who are Gods over the universe, and provided and sacrifice which was not sufficient to cover the sins of the world.
View of Mankind: Mormons hold that someday human will be God providing spirits for the people living on their planets. According to the Bible, when we die, we go to heaven to serve God. We don’t become Gods, but we go to heaven to serve God. The Bible says Jesus was going to heaven to provide a place for us, not a different planet. We will be before the face of God in the New Jerusalem, not off in some other planet in space.
View of Salvation: Joseph Smith’s “restored gospel” is not in alignment with the gospel of the Bible. Mormons believe, “We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.” In other words, we are saved by work and not by faith. However, Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” The Bible clearly teaches that we are saved through faith, and that works are something to follow up salvation, but salvation itself is by faith. 2 Nephi 25:23 say, “For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. After all we can do? What can we do? Absolutely nothing! We are helpless and do anything to be saved. All of our righteousness is dirty rags in God’s eyes. Romans 5:1 says, “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:” There is nothing we can do except coming to God in faith, not by works.
Degrees of heaven and hell: Mormons believe that the spirits who have been obedient be resurrected to one of three different level of glory based on how obedient in heaven, while the spirits who didn’t obey will go to a place called “spirit prison” where the spirits will be taught faith and other things. If the spirits respond to what they are taught, they will we welcomed into paradise, but if they reject it, they will go into what they call “outer darkness” (hell). While there is not solid scriptural grounds for this teaching, it is taught by the Mormon Church. In heaven, all seem to be equal, for all are serving God and praising him and there is no mention of them ascending to “god-hood.” As far a second chance, this is also unscriptural. The Bible says in Hebrews 9:27, “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment…” After we die, that’s it! There is no turning back! Consider the story in Luke 16:19-23. After the rich man dies, there is no mention of another chance, but he is sent straight to hell. Again, Matthew 25: 31-46 talks about the sheep and the goats. When the goat are sent away to eternal punishment (hell), there is no mention of them getting another chance. There is only one chance: now.
Clearly, Mormonism and the Bible, which is the word of God, are incompatible. The Bible says in 1 Timothy 4:1, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrinesofdevils; Mormonism, as well as other cults, is what the Bible is referring to. Indeed, many false religions have come into the world in our day. We must be careful and not let ourselves be led astray by these “doctrines of devils.”
Summary of unbiblical Mormon believes:
Say that the trinity are three separate God who unite for the same purpose.
There are many gods in the universe.
God was once a man and men can become gods.
God has a body like men.
The B of M is the most accurate book ever.
To be saved, we must do all we can.
The blood of Jesus is not enough to cover sin.
Note to Mormons: I know you may be sincerely trying to do God’s will; perhaps you do not know Mormonism is a cult. However, the Bible clearly say you must believe Jesus Christ’s blood is enough to cover you sins and that nothing you do will earn salvation. If you have any questions, please write me at email@example.com
The “interactive Bible.ca” would be a good place to visit if you are interested. Go to “interactive Bible.ca and click on the demon in the upper left corner and there is an icon which says “Mormon Nephi plates exposed.” They have information about the Nephi plates and other Mormon teachings and archology. By Samuel Murphy